Charlie Adams: the autism cause behind Yanni’s drummer

Earlier this month I attended Yanni’s concert here in Montreal, and got the opportunity to meet Yanni’s drummer Charlie Adams after the concert. As a drummer, I have always admired Adams since the days of ‘Yanni At The Acropolis’ when he used to - and still do - fascinate me with his drum solos. I had the honour to get his autograph (shown below), so I thought of introducing him here since apart of being an amazing drummer, he has a wonderful personality, and is an avid activist on the autism cause due to the sickness of his two sons.

Charlie Adams is an American drummer, percussionist, drum engineer, composer, music producer, and film producer. He has been Yanni’s drum lead for over 20 years and their CDs have gone platinum and double platinum. In Minnesota, Adams formed the rock band Chameleon and developed his own record label, Platinum Records. He met Yanni when the latter was hired on as Chameleon’s keyboardist. After some time Yanni headed to Los Angeles to pursue movie soundtrack work. Adams soon followed and collaborated with Yanni as movie consultant, writing the drum and percussion parts and doing all the research with his movie library, which consists of over 4,000 titles.

When not on tour with Yanni, Charlie lives in Nashville with his wife, Andrea and their four children. He owns a 24-track digital recording studio, Adams Apple Studio, where he records and teaches drum lessons. In 2004 he partnered with the Autism Society of America (ASA) to increase autism awareness, and produced an autobiographical video about his career and family, focusing on his two sons with autism. Autism is a brain development disorder characterized by impaired social interaction and communication, and by restricted and repetitive behavior.

For more information on Charlie Adams, visit www.CharlieAdams.org .
For more information on the Autism Society of America (ASA), Click Here.

Charlie Adams (Yanni's Drummer) autograph

Charlie Adams (Yanni's Drummer) autograph

Comments

Comment from tell you later
Time September 3, 2009 at 3:01 PM

you have it all wrong. Charlie’s wife left him in july and he hasn’t supported his two son since early april when he went on tour. not one dime of child support. she left him for a few good reasons. What a deadbeat dad/drummer. made all that money while on tour and still hasn’t sent andre a cent for those two boys.

Comment from tell you later
Time September 3, 2009 at 3:04 PM

i misspelled andrea. Sorry.
you have it all wrong. Charlie’s wife left him in july and he hasn’t supported his two son since early april when he went on tour. not one dime of child support. she left him for a few good reasons. What a deadbeat dad/drummer. made all that money while on tour and still hasn’t sent Andrea a cent for those two boys.

Comment from admin
Time September 3, 2009 at 3:17 PM

tell you later,

This post was written in May 2009. So it could be possible that his wife left him in July, though I am not sure about that. But tell me something, if he didn’t send Andrea a cent for those two boys, then why would he push for their cause during and after his concerts?
The reason why I decided to write this post is because I very much admired how he approached his fans with his sons autism cause.

Can you please provide me with references to what you are claiming?

Comment from tell you later
Time September 3, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Then why doesn’t he mention to his fans that he hasn’t giving her a cent for those two boys that he loves so much. I’m sure his female fans would love to hear his story on why he thinks he shouldn’t pay child support

Comment from tell you later
Time September 3, 2009 at 4:48 PM

I’m a very close friend of Andrea’s. The answer to my references. I spoke to her by phone just yesterday.

Comment from admin
Time September 3, 2009 at 10:20 PM

tell you later,

I still hold my view towards Charlie since I didn’t find your claim backed up by good references, just the “I know someone who knows someone” style of backup. But rest assured that your opinion was and still is highly appreciated.

Comment from tell you later
Time September 4, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Andrea is his ex-wife. She isn’t just someone.

Comment from Anonymous
Time October 14, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Mr. Adams is an inspiration. I did not know about his work with autism awareness. I was directed to this article while researching Mickey Hart (drummer of the Grateful Dead), who incidentally suffers from autism

Comment from IanAdams
Time June 26, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Hi my name is Ian Adams Charlies oldest son. For the record you know absolutely nothing and if you keep talking about my dad like that I’ll find you and fucking kill you seriously keep your fucking mouth shut about shit you obviously know fucking nothing about.
By the way he pays all his child support and fights to have my brothers you seriously a fucking nobody for talking about such a good man like that grow up and stop acting like you know shit.

Comment from admin
Time June 26, 2010 at 3:28 PM

IanAdams, please pass my salutations to your dad.

Comment from Adam
Time June 26, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Charlie, Please call me as I think we have a case for slander. The references above are totally inaccurate and I think you have a serious case against this dumb donkey! I know personally that this is false and inaccurate so I am willing to take this to court for you.

Comment from IanJA117
Time June 27, 2010 at 3:23 PM

My name is Ian Adams ( http://www.facebook.com/IanJaredAdams)The real one mind you. As much as I sadly agree with what the person pretending to be me said that was not me but they must have used my real email. On topic though I would like to say that my dad Charlie Adams is a great father and “tell you later” literally knows nothing. He pays all his child support and loves all of his four children so much. It makes me really sad to see such ignorance about such a good man. If anyone has any questions you can add me on my facebook and I would be happy to address them. As for the person posing to be me thank you for standing up for my dad but please don’t ever use my name like that again.

Comment from event greeting
Time August 21, 2016 at 4:52 PM

It’s really a cool and helpful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this useful information with us.
Pleasse keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.