The Alexander Technique: realign your body

The Alexander Technique is a method that works to change movement habits in our everyday activities. It is a simple and practical method for improving ease and freedom of movement, balance, support and coordination. The technique teaches the use of the appropriate amount of effort for a particular activity, giving you more energy for all your activities. It is not a series of treatments or exercises, but rather a reeducation of the mind and body. It is promoted for the alleviation of back pain, rehabilitation after accidents, improving breathing, playing musical instruments and singing.

The technique dates back to the 1890s when Frederick Matthias Alexander (1869-1955), an actor who began his career as a Shakespearean orator, developed chronic laryngitis while performing. Determined to restore the full use of his voice, he carefully watched himself while speaking, and observed that undue muscular tension accounted for his vocal problem. He sought a way to eliminate that restriction. Over time, he discovered and articulated a principle that profoundly influences health and well-being: when neck tension is reduced, the head no longer compresses the spine and the spine is free to lengthen. From this work on himself and others, he evolved this hands-on teaching method that encourages all the body processes to work more efficiently - as an integrated, dynamic whole.

The Alexander Technique is not something you can learn from a video or a book. You need a teacher to review your own personal situation and guide you, so taking lessons is very important. If you are in the New York area, I suggest you contact Mark Josefsberg who is a certified Alexander Technique teacher. You can find a lot of informative articles and videos regarding this topic, as well as his contact information on his website at www.MarkJosefsberg.com .

You can find a detailed guide about the technique at AlexanderTechnique.com. Dr. Rhonda Low from CTV explains it more in the video below:

Get the Flash Player to see this player.

Comments

Pingback from Health Blog » Blog Archive » The Alexander Technique: realign your body
Time March 12, 2009 at 7:01 PM

[...] Originally posted here: The Alexander Technique: realign your body [...]

Comment from Aadir
Time March 16, 2009 at 11:29 AM

how many session do we need to learn so we can do it by ourself?

Aadir

Comment from Mark Josefsberg
Time March 17, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Hi Aadir,

Of course everyone is different, and it depends upon what you want to get out of the Technique. However, the idea is that you learn it and apply it to your life. You’ll probably know in only a few sessions how great an impact it will have. You will probably learn something you could use forever in the first session.
Mark

Comment from Bill
Time September 11, 2009 at 12:01 PM

I found a few lessons in the Alexander Technique made a huge difference in my posture, and the way people perceived me. Plus it got rid of my low back pain! Can’t ask for much more.

They have a great website at http://alexandertechnique.com

Comment from chiropractor gilbert az
Time March 18, 2010 at 4:03 AM

We must understand how chiropractic is done correctly and also we must know the ethic’s of it. Chiropractic treatment is very sensitive job.

Comment from calgary chiropractor
Time May 19, 2010 at 1:45 AM

I must say that Chiropractic world is indeed doing a great thing in our world… One of the best alternative medicine as for me.. :)

Comment from lacombe chiropractor
Time May 25, 2010 at 11:17 PM

This makes the future look brighter. I once asked my general practitioner to compare notes with my chiropractor and he said it wouldn’t do any good as they didn’t speak the same medical language.

Comment from Rochelle Reea
Time May 23, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Thank you for the video on the Alexander Technique. As a teacher of the Technique for 30 years, I am grateful that the Technique is being recognized and more and more people are benefiting from this unique and effective work. In my opinion, the AT is not a series of “exercises,” as mentioned in the video. It is a method that teaches people how to do any exercise correctly.

Comment from click here for calgary chiropractor
Time August 3, 2012 at 1:40 AM

It always amazes me how resourceful people were hundreds of years ago. Things like the Alexander technique are just one example of what you can do when you put your mind to it.

Comment from chiropractor in Edmonton
Time November 4, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I think more and more people are willing to give non-traditional medicine a try. Some medical doctors are prescription happy and want you to be on drugs for the long term, so they can make money every time they fill a prescription. I believe that most but not all ailments can be treated without a pharmaceutical medicine.

Comment from Japanese Appreciate Hotels
Time November 17, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Thee other day, while I was at work, my cousin stole my apple
ipad and tested to see if it can survive a forty foot
drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now broken
and she has 83 views. I know this is completely off topic but
I had to share it with someone!

Comment from perceraian
Time May 23, 2014 at 4:12 AM

Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on sites I stumbleupon everyday.
It will always be exciting to read through articles from other authors and use a little something
from other websites.

Comment from alexander technique lessons
Time November 24, 2017 at 10:59 AM

I was very pleased to find this great site. I wanted to thank you for ones time for this wonderful read!!
I definitgely loved every little bit of it and I have yyou bookmarked tto look at new information on your web site.

Comment from Biohazard Cleaning
Time November 28, 2017 at 5:15 AM

Would love to constantly get updated gret web blog!